Sensory Room – Opening for Tours January 10th
We are so excited to announce that our new Sensory Room will soon be open to Noah’s Landing residents…
A sensory room is a specially designed room which combines a range of stimuli to help individuals develop and engage their senses. These can include lights, colors, sounds, sensory soft play objects, aromas all within a safe environment that allows the person using it to explore and interact without risk. Sensory rooms can help those who have learning difficulties, developmental disabilities or sensory impairments.
The Sensory Room at Noah’s Landing was created to provide our residents with a place to “re-set”. The room is designed to help calm individuals by sense of touch, smell, sight and sound. Potential benefits of this sensory room are; resources for behavioral challenges, sensory stimulation, improved balance, movement and spatial orientation.
Multi Sensory Environments can open up a whole new world for individuals with cognitive, developmental and physical impairments. Providing a stimulating environment can:
· Increase concentration and focus attention
· Develop or reactivate senses of hearing, sight, smell, touch, and taste
· Heighten awareness and improve alertness
· Improve coordination and motor development
· Promote cognitive development by increased brain function
· Lead participants to explore their environment
· Provide security
· Be an unrestrained atmosphere where participants feel able to enjoy themselves.
· Improve creativity
· Stimulate the sensory building blocks
· Develop a sense of cause and effect
· Develop language – more vocalization
· Promote mental and physical relaxation – stress levels drop dramatically
· Result in more calmness and lower aggressive behaviors
· Increase opportunity for choice and self-determination
· Improve communication and sharing
· Provide relief from pain and painful physiotherapy